Friday, December 3, 2010

Story Continued...

Please the read the next entry below for the first part of this story!

So we go to the Pedi Clinic here and see Dr. U. She looked at it everything on Easton and agreed that it was a 2nd degree burn and she told me that it was going to take time to heal. I asked if I was doing everything right in keeping it wrapped up. She told me I was.

And that was it. She walked out of the room.

Alrighty then.....

The nurse walked in a few minutes later to re wrap his bandages. And She told me that Dr. U wanted to see Easton again in a week.

I told her that we would be seeing our regular Pedi in a week.

Seriously?? I am not going to come back here, for you to just walk in and say, yeah that looks ok, when it clearly does NOT!! And then just say yeah, keep doing what your doing.

So we called Dr. C's office when we left there to schedule our next appointment with him.

Easton did so good that week. He never cried. He never acted like anything bothered him. I kept his bandages changed. We did everything that we were suppose to do for it.

Then Saturday night, when I was changing his thumb bandages, it just didn't look right. I don't know how to explain it but it just looked bad.

Well Sunday came and I called the pedi clinic here in my town to try to get in to a Dr. Well they didn't have any openings. They suggested if it was that bad to take him to the Er.

Well I didn't think it was "that bad" so I just opted to wait till his next appointment with Dr. C which was less than 24 hours away. So that's what I did.

The next morning we get to Dr. C's office, and we get the news that he is still out from the death of his dad. Which is totally understandable.

But I told them I REFUSED to go back to the pedi clinic where I lived. And they told me that they had me scheduled with Mrs. K. who is a nurse practitioner.

We LOVE her too. I was soooo relieved! (Easton saw her when he had roseaola)

So in we go to the exam room.

I cut the chest bandages off his chest burn. She examines it and told me that it looked great. That it was healing nicely. blah blah blah! :)

I go to cut the bandage off his thumb. And as I am doing so, I am telling her what every one else (the ER Dr, the ER nurses, Dr. U.) has said, basically that it was a 2nd burn and all it needed was time to heal. And as I am taking the last little bit off, I say, "and I just don't think that's all its going to take."

Then snip the rest of the bandage is off. And his thumb is exposed.

The look on her face tells me what I needed to know. I WAS right. This was bad. Really bad.

I just started to bawl like a baby.

She immediately handed Easton over to a nurse and hugged me. And told me that things like this happen. That it was totally an accident. And that it was going to be ok. That we were going to get his thumb better and that he would still be able to use it and basically not to blame my self.

I got Easton back in my arms so that she could really get a good look at it. And told me that she was going to call the wound center over at the hospital. She wanted them to see it and maybe get Easton under there care until it got well. That his thumb defiantly needed someone with a better knowledge of what they were looking at than she or even Dr. C. could provide.

So she left the room and the nurse wrapped it up.

And we waited. And waited some more.

After about 15 minutes she came back in the room.

I was all ready to walk over to the hospital with Easton and just needed her orders. And I thought that's what she had in her hand.

It wasn't.

She told me that she called over and talked to Dr. D at the wound clinic. And explained everything she saw. And that she thought that we needed to come over and see him. He disagreed.

My heart skipped a beat

She said that Dr. D explained to her, that Easton being the age he is (19 months) and what with everything that she (Mrs. K) had told him that Easton need to go to somewhere were they specialize in burns.

My heart skipped 2 beats.

She then went on to say that Dr. D. suggested that we go to Children's Hospital in Dallas.

TODAY... As in right now, when you leave here, you are to drive there.

I started bawling.

She hugged me and told me that it was going to be ok. That my mommy intuition was right.

But DALLAS???? That's 2 hours away!!!

I just said a silent prayer to God saying,"I will do what ever it takes, what ever YOU want me to do. I will do it. If its Dallas. We are going to Dallas."

So she left the room to get a hold of Childrens.

She came back in and said,"well I'm sorry but Childrens has no possible openings. So I tried Parkland. (another huge hospital in Dallas)  But Parkland said that we would have to go through ER."

She then went on to say, "But there is NO way in hades I am putting yall through that. So I called Tyler Mother Francis, and they have an opening tomorrow. And yall have that appointment."

I was so grateful!!!

So we re bandaged it, because the first bandage was just to get us to the wound clinic at the hospital. And we got all the instructions of when and where we were going to need to be tomorrow.

I felt aweful. My baby(he literally is, he was born 2nd!! ha) is needing extra treatment, for something that was so preventable. I just about cried all the way to the baby sitters house.

But all was good with Easton. I promise you, he never crys about his thumb. He does everything the same, from playing to eating to everything. The only thing he has had to compromise is how he gets a bath. Because he cant get his bandages wet. But that's it!

He is such a trooper!!!

So the next day, East and I head to Tyler to see Dr. T. at the wound clinic.

I have to say, I have never been so impressed!

From the moment we walked in the door, they have ran to us with open arms. It was like walking in to a room with long lost friends.

They were that nice.

And Dr. T? We LOVE her as well! God knew what He was doing when he put her in our path. She is the greatest thing since sliced bread. And Easton loves her too.

This past Tuesday, the 30th, was the 2nd time we saw Dr. T. and she that is burn is improving. But she wants to continue seeing him for a while. Which is fine by me. I will do WHATEVER it takes to get my baby healed.

Here are a few pics of us waiting on Dr. T. last week.(the first time we went.)

Oh and I forgot to mention. Last Monday, when we left seeing Mrs. K. Easton went back to the babysitters house. And like I mentioned before, his thumb does not hold him back. And he was running and chasing all the other kids and fell on her low window sill, and hit his nose again like he did in August. And of course it swelled all up and looked awful for a few days. But now its back down the normal.

We went by ourselves the first week. And then this week, my dad wanted to take us. So he tagged along and carried Easton everywhere. (my arms thanked him!!) He was so impressed by Easton. At one point, when Dr. T was in the room doing what she does to Easton, he said, "I am 50 years old and I would be bawling like a baby." And Easton wasn't. He just sits there and watches her likes its nothing.

Very Impressive.

I will have to say, no one truly understands how bad his thumb is UNTIL they see it. On Tuesday, as the nurse unwrapped Eastons thumb, my dad was all standing up ready to see it. And I told him on the way down there to not to spas out or nothing. That it was bad but that's why we were going to Tyler. He said, "and when I have ever spas out?" and he was right, I wouldn't ever remember time where he had.

Until that bandage came off.

Lets just say, he had to sit down, and look the other way the whole time we were in there. And he just kept rubbing his fore head, say, "I cant believe how bad it looks." I had to remind him, that's why were here. That's why our pedi sent us here. And I think I saw a tear or two in his eye. I'm not sure though. It could have allergies.

But I will say... His thumb is looking better and better every day. I even saw a difference in it this morning while I was changing his bandages. So that's good.

So that's the story of the "flippin hospital bracelet" I hope I NEVER have to go through this again!

No comments: